Friday, May 5, 2017

Post-apocalypse dinosaur hunt in Dinoproof (solitaire gaming)

One of my more popular blog posts is my Star Wars dinosaur hunt, using Saurian Safari rules, as discussed here


Always on the lookout for new dinosaur miniature games, I picked up a copy of Dinoproof by Good Games Designs.



The cover reminded me of the old Cadillacs and Dinosaurs comic book..


In this game, dinosaurs reappeared in the world in an earthquake-tsunami-volcano disaster extravaganza and ravaged the modern world.  Corporations hire "slayers" and arm them with weapons and body cameras to parachute into dinosaur-ravaged zones to shoot and catch on camera for the ratings, the big guys..

Okay... sure, I can go with that. 

The game plays for 2 players at least, but I though to try it out solitaire first to get a feel for the rules before playing it with my friends. Most dinosaur miniature games are a lot like Zombie games in that the dinosaur movement is kind of automated.  Reading the dinoproof rules, it seems that is the case here.

I suspect what fun there is in the game is that each player moves their Slayer, and then moves the dinosaurs that sense the other player's mini and sic them on them. lol.. :-)

Reading the rules though, I was kind of disappointed in the skimpiness of the combat. There are generic stats for one handed weapons, two handed, pistol and rifle, etc..  No rules for specific weapons, .50 cals, using scopes, etc.

Oh, so this was going to be a beer and pretzels game then....

I also questioned some of the tongue in cheek language. Your heroism/fortitude stat is called Chutzpah, which is okay I guess, but some of the skill names were downright silly like "jiggery pokery" and "right in the kisser."  Definitely a beer and pretzels game, even with the use of d8s and d4s for your luck mechanic instead of plain d6s.

You can use any terrain, so I made up some post-apoc terrain, as I like the juxtaposition of the modern vs the prehistoric and placed some dinos on the board.


I set up a dinosaur zone and deployed some dinosaurs..





I parachuted my guy in..


In the basic scenario, I have 8 turns to rack up some kills.

Each dinosaur has a $ value the corporations pay in the campaign game.

I wanted to see how many I can rack up out of curiosity.

On turn one, I moved to the edge of the building frame and had a clear line of sight to the triceratops near the food marker (you must place a food marker at the start of the game for the herbivores to congregate).



In the game, you shoot first and then measure the range. I thought it was an easy hit as I can see the triceratops bright as day, but then measured him after shooting, and he was outside the 8 inch range of my rifle..

I made a "loud" marker as that acts as a beacon for dinosaurs to come near you within 10 inches.


I am out of rifle range for a shot across the street? Even in Napoleonic times, their muskets would reach across the street.. Here I am out of range? Got to be kidding.

The dinosaurs did their instinctual move and I rolled up a pterodactyl near me.


In turn 2, the triceratops went after me, and I fired again, wounding it. I put a red cube to signify that.


However, I realized playing that there are no LOS rules in the game. I am shooting through intervening terrain, the building frame. I am sure my guy and the triceratop can see each other, but I get no penalty for the building skeleton in the way? Apparently not.

It also got fuzzier, as I was within the sensing range of the pterodactyl, and determined it can see my guy when I retreated, so it attacked me.


No penalties though for trying to get at me in those cramped spaces.. It wounded me.

In the next turn, I decided to go into one of the buildings, as both the triceratop and the pterodactyl can't engage me, though there are rules for attacking the building so I can fall off it and be tripped. Since I was already on the ground hiding, do I still fall down? I guess so.

There are no movement penalties in the game either, so I went through the window without any loss in movement points.. No LOS, no bad terrain rules... hmmm..

Meanwhile, in the instinctual movement phase, there was the issue of the Spinosaurus and the Bronto.. It says in the rules that herbivores move away from carnivores when they sense them, but it's not clear how they sense them. Surely the Bronto in front of the McDonald's can see the Spinosaurus coming down the road?



I deemed it yes, and moved him away.

It was also not clear how the ptero was going to get me if I was underneath a ruined floor. Would he fight the Triceratops? The rules say that they land every turn, so that means they are flying in between.. At this point, I was like, whatever, I deemed him to fly away..




Anyways, in later turns, the triceratop had me blocked in the rubble and I was really close to the 10 inches sensing range from my gunfire, which could bring in the Spinosaurus afer me.  (The rules don't say where to measure to, but I decided it was to the closest legs of the dinosaur)..





In subsequent turns, a T-Rex showed up, luckily far away..


Anyways, turn 8 ended and I never did kill the Triceratop.

I am not sure I will play this game with my friends, as some of them will raise their eyebrows at some of the rule ambiguities. My gaming group is not the beer and pretzel type either, unless we're really, really, really, in the mood.

This game is likely for 12 year olds getting into gaming for the first time, perhaps playing with their dad or older relative. An introductory game to whet the appetite but for some of us old grognards, I am not so sure.

Still, I am glad I own the rules.


7 comments:

  1. Interesting AAR. Did you know that Two Hour Wargames has a rule book that includes dinosaurs? You can even play as a dinosaur. The rules for dinosaurs are in Mission St. Mary
    http://store.twohourwargames.com/missionstmary.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there is a pulp one in THW where you can hunt them, but didn't realize there were rules where you can be a dinosaur. Will have to check it out, Blackstar. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking game...on a beautiful table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids! Huh! I'm a septuagenarian and this game looks like a whole lot of fun!! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use GASLIGHT for our post apocalypse / zombie / dinosaur games. That would give you a level of detail greater than what you describe here with almost no increase in complexity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gaslight.. yes, I've heard of it.. sounds interesting. I might pick it up Buck, thanks.

    ReplyDelete