Friday, July 29, 2016

My workbench: Scratch-built fantasy domed buildings for Frostgrave et al.

A couple of years back, I bought these paint-it-yourself Christmas bulbs.. You assemble both halves and then paint it to however you want.

I used them to good effect for space battles, painting planets and moons.





Anyways, I dug some of the rest I bought the other day and had an idea to make some fantasy domed buildings I can use for Frostgrave and Kings of War; LOS blockers and such.


I first added some spare fantasy doors I had from a MageKnight kit by sticking them on using milliput..


More importantly, I have this cookie-cutter template I think I bought off Coolmini's store years ago to make bricks and blocks using air-hardening clay..



With a little bit of PVA glue, the moist clay stuck on the dome easily enough I found, though I had to be quick about it as that stuff dries fast. 


Sometimes the air-hardening clay dried faster than I thought and "cracks" appeared in the cookie-cut slabs, which is uninentionally great, as it adds to the fantasy look...

On one I used slabs of different shapes...


and on the other I used the big "cookies."


I wasn't too fussed about lining everything up as I wanted to make this look a little bit rundown.. 


I was thinking of painting them white, but then thought they'd look like igloos, so I stuck with the stone look in grey..

A little bit of dry-brushing and voilĂ .. just took 2 evenings from start to finish, with some time to let the clay dry before painting them..

Please feel free to vote on this on Coolmini, with 1 being the lowest, 10 the highest and 5 good enough for tabletop play, here.

Thanks.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/401682


No comments:

Post a Comment